- table is a named collection of rows.
- each row of a given table has a the same set of named columns.
- each column is a specific data type
- columns have a fixed order in a row.
- rows are not guaranteed to be in a certain order.
- tables are grouped into databases
- a collection of databases managed by a sinle server instance constitutes a database cluster.
- double precision
- additional postgres specific types
createdb mydb dropdb mydb
- will default to creating a db named the same name as your user account.
Populating a table with rows.
- you can also do a bulk load from a flat file using the COPY command. COPY weather FROM ‘/home/mo/weather.txt’;
Querying a table
login to psql
connect to database
list tables in connected database